Sports Premium

Premium Sports Funding – Jubilee Primary school

 Through ‘Sport Premium’ the Government is providing £150 million in each year to support the delivery of PE and sport in primary schools.

This funding is ring fenced, and is allocated directly to primary schools across England, providing them with a dedicated resource to buy in invaluable expertise and support. Funding is allocated through a lump sum for each school and a per-pupil top-up mechanism. The formula will reference the number of primary-aged pupils (i.e. children between the ages of 5 and 11). All schools with seventeen or more primary-aged pupils will receive a lump sum of £8,000 plus a premium of £5 per pupil.

When we received the Sports Premium Funding in 2015 we decided to invest it in supporting long-term development of three areas of P.E.:

  1. Swimming
  2. Opportunity/exit routes
  3. Competitive sports

 

Swimming

We already had swimming time-tabled in the curriculum for Year 5, but we wanted the rest of the school to have the opportunity to access swimming as this is a ‘life skill’ we wanted to encourage. We now have swimming embedded in the curriculum for both Yrs 3 and 5.The impact has been that the uptake of children now taking part in swimming lessons out of school hours has increased and we now have more children swimming 25m before they leave Yr 6.

Opportunity

With the Premium Sports Funding the ‘sports week’ has now become a key element of school life where all the children in KS2 are given the opportunity to take part sports they would not otherwise have had a chance to participate in. The process involves asking the pupils what sports they would like to ‘try’ – They were not limited by their expectations and this became the real challenge. Next we ask children to choose three activities from the list of sports nominated by the pupils. Next, they complete a form that indicates their 1st, 2nd and 3rd preferences.

Once we have the information we look at the most popular sports and start to source them and book dates. We find most of the sports within the borough, but for those we cannot, we go out of Borough for. We had 98% of the children taking part in their 1st choice with the remaining 2% of the children taking part in their 2nd choice sport.

The children get a real ‘buzz’ about sport in this week and an example of this is when they took part in Hockey. Here, we booked the session at the Queen Elizabeth Hockey and Tennis centre with a professional coach. On arriving on the day the children were really excited and could not wait to get started. We were given a tour of the facility and then played in the arena where the European Hockey Championships were played in the summer of 2015 and is also the national venue for GB and England Hockey teams. The children were so enthused by this that we have now started a hockey club in school.

Some sports/activities that have been selected by the children in the last few years are

Competitive sports

Jubilee already has a fantastic reputation for competitive sports, so in addition to the Hackney Sports Calendar we decided to create our own SEN Sessions hosted by City Academy. We invited three local schools to take part in the SEN festivals that included Goal Ball and Boccia. The impact of this is that we now have SEN links to other Primary schools and we hope to continue this link with City Academy.